Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Iron Chef MDS - Evening Entries


This will be the last of my gastronomical entries.  I have covered breakfast, "lunch" and now finally dinner.

Expedition Foods Beef and Potato Hotpot:  6 oz/801 kcals/$11.95.  Generally a good entree however not very visually appealing, therefore this one is good when it is dark.  Could benefit from the additional of spices of your choice. Scores 3.5 out of 5.0.

Expedition Foods Asian Noodles with Beef and Mixed Vegetables:  6 oz/805 kcals/$11.95.  This was a very good meal.  Rehydration was fast and there was just the right amount of flavor with a little spicy after kick.  This one scores 4 out of 5.

Asian Beef and Noodles

Not bad.....

Expedition Foods Chicken Tikka with Rice:  6 oz/ 808 kcals/$11.95.  I really liked this one too.  Scores a 4 out of 5.  Unfortunately I could not get this for my kit when I ordered.  Replaced with Chicken Korma and Rice.

Expedition Foods Shepard’s Pie:  6 oz/805 kcals/$11.95.  Two words.....Dog Food.  No way.  I am going to replace this with spaghetti.

Expedition Foods Sweet and Sour Chicken with Rice: 6.5 oz/ 805 kcals/$11.95.  Very basic and palatable.   I will have this twice during the event.  Scores a 4.5 out of 5 also.

Backpackers Pantry Santa Fe Rice and Chicken: 7.5 oz/760 kcals/$10.50.  This was good.  This meal has much more of a “local flavor” than the Expedition Foods from over the pond.  Even has New Mexico green chile!  Weighs a little more, is more bulky and has slightly less calories but the taste more than makes up for that.  A 4.5 out of 5.0

I am additionally taking some extra food for the bivouac so as to assure that I have enough/likable food prior to departure.  Any leftovers will be abandoned or stored in my bag for delivery at the end.  Most likely will take some Expedition Foods Macs and Cheese along with some breakfast options.

As you can see chicken is the choice.  I would prefer beef but unfortunately chicken is more readily available.  Final menu for the event is getting close and will most likely be posted along with my kit contents prior to departure.  As mentioned before some of these may need to be repackaged due to space considerations.

No comments:

Post a Comment