Monday, March 23, 2015

Training Summary and Review

In 2013 about this time I posted a review of my training activities leading up to my participation in the 28th MDS.  Now would be a good time to revisit the numbers to see how they compare to what I have been able to do in preparation for the 30th MDS.  Of course your results (mileage) will vary.

From the 1st of January to date:

2013:  550 miles / 2,700 "lb-miles" / avg pack weight 16.5lbs / 16 pack runs
2015:  513 miles / 4,152 lb-miles / avg pack weight 17.5 / 23 pack runs
   NOTE: total miles down due to knee injury.


From the 1st of August (when I started training for the 28th MDS) until the end of the year:

2012: 650 miles / 945 lb-miles
2014: 718 miles / 4,800 lb-miles (including Grand-to-Grand Ultra) - WOW over 4X the lb-miles!


Over the past 12 months or so:

2012-2013: 1,750 miles / 3,650 lb-miles.
2014-2015:  1,872 miles / 9,263 lb-miles

So, overall mileage was up slightly but pack running was much higher and thus a great fraction of my runs.  This was due to more runs and training for Grand-to-Grand.  A back-to-back-to-back type training regime was still employed (with most of the week consolidated into about four or five straight days.)  Hills are always a part of the schedule because of where I live. Walking and tempo workouts were on occasions included.  I also added more yoga and weight training this time around to help with stretching/balance and strength imbalance issues.  Weekly mileage again was never over 70 miles.  Most weeks were around 45-50 miles.

I did have two down months (October and November) last year for recovery with very limited miles.

So, overall I have done more than what I did in preparation for the 28th MDS.  I have been on the ragged edge of injury with a tweaked kneed that throttled me back somewhat over the last month but I appear to have recovered.

We will see how things go in a couple of weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment