Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Bataan Memorial Death March

This past Sunday (17 March) marked another Bataan Memorial Death March for me and my last event until the MDS.  I have been doing this semi-trail marathon now for over 10 years and have competed in about every division available to me including civilian light, civilian coed team light, civilian heavy (35 lb pack) and civilian team heavy. I do this event to honor the memory of my great uncle Penrod Reader who survied the Bataan Death March in 1942 and eventually died in the POW camps in the Philippines.

This event was attended by other friends and family including Dirk Reader (brother), Megan Reader (daughter), Tim White (colleague and training buddy), Haley White (Tim's daughter) and Jesson Hutchinson (work colleague).  All completed their respective "marches".

Pre-race group photo


I decided to run without my kit, not wanting to break anything on it or me this close to the departure date!  However I did run totally self supported and as such started out with over 100 oz of water and some snacks.  This rig weighed in around 9lbs, about a finish pack weight for the MDS.  While the weather was not hot (mid 70's) it was windy for half the event.  I ran with Dirk and Tim for most of the day.  Dirk pulled a PR at 4:06+, knocking off almost 40 minutes from his time last year.  I came in around 4:04.

Tim and I pushing past the half way point


I also broke in my race shoes and my back up pair of gaiters which were getting lots of looks (there are sections of significant sand near the end).  Also taped up for practice.  Everything worked out great.

Hard to believe in three weeks I will be doing this in Morocco!

No comments:

Post a Comment