Monday, August 20, 2012


As the Talking Heads song goes....Well, how did I get here?

My journey to the MDS began about a decade ago during one of my first marathons.  At the Bataan Memorial Death March at White Sands Missile Range I noticed a competitor with a shirt from a previous Marathon Des Sables.  Not only did I find the shirt intriguing but the competitor appeared to know his stuff when it came to performing in the desert.  He was obviously competing in the “Heavy” division which included a 35 lb pack.  As I pushed on I worked to remember “Marathon Des Sables” the entire race so I could look it up later.  What I found was obviously several levels above my ability at the time but something that I kept in the back of my mind over the years.

As my running progressed I eventually went beyond marathons.  While I focused on the local events that were fun, I always kept thinking about the MDS.  Finally I decided to give something like this a try and signed up for the Desert RATS race.  While it is not a totally self supported event, it is of similar format and distances.  Running across southern Utah in June is also hot.

I learned a lot from my preparations for and participating in the Desert RATS.  The staff and co-sufferers were great.  One person of particular note was Greg Pressler whom I traveled many miles with on the second stage.  He helped me get through my toughest part of the race and gave some overall inspiration.  Talking with him I discovered he was a two time participant in the MDS as well as a Badwater finisher.  So I had to ask, “Greg, do you think I would be able to finish something like the MDS?”  The answer back without hesitation was “Yes”.    


 Greg Pressler and myself during Desert RATS 2012 (stage 2)


That single word started things in motion for me.  After some recuperation from the Desert RATS and some discussions with Lisa I decided to put my name in on the “short wait list” for the 2013 MDS.  What the heck, no harm, it’s a long shot right?  I’ll just start focusing on getting into the 2014 edition; get another Desert RATS under my belt, etc.  July 12th, name placed on wait list, July 30th a slot opened up for 2013 MDS, August 1st my entry secured! 

Wow that was quick.  

Looks like I may find myself in another part of the world.  

Once in a lifetime?


2 comments:

  1. alas, you and your lottery luck. happens hunting as well - a few of those 'once in a lifetime" hunts panned out the first time you put in. I should have known better! you go Garth!

    Your Ever Lovin' Wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should sign your ever tolerant wife...

    ReplyDelete