Tuesday, August 21, 2012


Christmas in August…Ho, Ho, Ho!

Eight months to get ready!  Panic time so to speak.  After assembling all available information my focus has been on gear selection and procurement.  I started gathering what I had and evaluating what else I potentially needed to get.  There are large varieties of resources out there for recommendations and it just takes some time to sort through them and make your own decisions.  Many gear selections are personal and based on your own experiences and preferences.  Besides, contemplating all these questions is half the fun!

So gear purchases are on!  I have procured many items that will make up my kit including a super small Esbit wing titanium stove, a new Petzl headlamp, titanium mug, a Spork and a Leatherman “Style” multitool.  The latter is a modern version of the classic Swiss Army knife.  Included are a blade, scissors, file, screwdriver and tweezers all in a one oz package.   This fine tool is about half as light as my Leatherman Micra that I was initially planning on bringing.  Many other items I already own (signal mirror, compass, survival blanket, etc.). 

I also ordered my pack (24L Raid Light Evolution 2).  I think it will be large enough.  Some say this brand is not as durable as others; however I used a smaller one (14 L Endurance) during the Desert RATS race and had no problems.  I was also happy with the fit.  Additionally new and in hand are a Thermorest zlite pad and a Western Mountaineering Highlite sleeping bag (rated at 35 degrees and weighing in at 16 oz).  I am amazed at this sleeping bag!


As you can see, weight is an important factor.  Ended up purchasing a cheap digital scale to weigh various items to get an idea of what my pack will total up to.  Initial estimates are putting a starting weight of around 17-18 pounds including food and without water.  Food will make up about half of that weight.  With a full load of water I am looking at 20-24 lbs to start with.  Not too bad.  I will eventually post a complete gear/weight list. 

Also my brother Dirk has set up a pledge site for those wishing to help defray some of my expenses.  You can link to the sight here.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment