Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pack and Food

Well, not too much activity on the MDS front.  My Raidlight pack came along with a sampling of various foods I will be trying out during my elk hunt next week.  It is apparent that the Evolution 2  pack at 24l my not be big enough.  It is not so much the gear but the volume of food.  Even at 2200 kcals per day it would be a squees to get all of it in.  As such I put in an order for the next size up pack (30l). Adding on a front pack that I already have would bring it up to around 34l.  This would be more than sufficient for the volume anticipated.  We will compare both side by side and see which looks like the one to go with and which one to return.

Now a word about food.  After reading a bunch of nutritional labels searching for the optimum manna, I have come to the realization that I may have to plan for more calories.  The "2000 calorie diet" will most likely not cut it.  The question then becomes how much more?  2200?  2600? 3000?  Yes I do have a built in store to draw on but a week of bonking would be unpleasant.  This is going to take a bit of time to figure out.  Hard to believe that I will be counting calories, not to loose weight but to maintain it!

Official registration packet is almost ready to send in. Trying to run down trip insurance.  After that only flights and hotels will be the big administrative items for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment