Monday, April 29, 2013

After Action Review #1 - What didn't work

This is the first review of my participation in the 2013 MDS.  I am specifically covering what did not go so well during the event.  Fortunately these were only minor in nature and I was able to carry on quite well.  I will also post soon the numerous thing that did go well for me.  Both contain lessons learned and should be of interest to the community in general.


Listen Up!

1. Not quite enough TP - The lack of enough "desert dollars" could have been a disaster.  Fortunately it was only an inconvenience since spare was available from those abandoning in my tent.  In the future I would bring almost an entire roll.

2. Not enough protein in diet - The lack of sufficient protein for me especially during breakfast was a hindrance.  I wound up getting hungry and approaching a bonked state earlier during the day than I had anticipated.  Slim Jims saved me in this regard and I began to eat my ration of these along with my breakfast to get me through the stages.


Slim Jim Full Meal Deal Breakfast

3. Broken critical equipment- Specifically sunglasses.  Mine failed upon arrival at the bivouac.  Fortunately, I had brought a spare pair with me and had access to them.

4. On-the-move food selection less than optimal - Bars while high in calories were difficult to consume.  Hammer cranberry bars were ok.  Almonds were not as palatable while exerting but OK to snack on in camp.  I would include some dried fruit (apricots) in the future.


End of Stage 4 - I am SO Hungry!



5. Lower back taping - While I never had issues with pack rubbing during training, the day after day insults along with the heat give me a case of road rash on my lower back.  I would advise taping this area as a preventative measure in the future.  Some also taped their shoulder regions.

6. Improper shoe tension - Or should I say I didn't tie my shoes properly on Stage 2 and got some toe blisters. I was overly concerned about shoes being too tight and lost sight of going to the other extreme.




Foot Maintenance - Twice a day minimum!

Next up some things that went well!

No comments:

Post a Comment